New York News
New York City school teacher charged with rape of student
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 40 year old teacher is charged with rape for allegedly having sex with a 10 year old girl in the Bronx after telling her she was going to get an award.
Anthony Criscuolo, a fifth-grade special education teacher at P.S. 386 in the Bronx, was arrested at 10 a.m. Wednesday morning.
He was charged with rape in the first degree, a charged that applies when the victim is 15 or younger.
He was arraigned early Thursday, and bail was set at $500,000 cash or $750,000 bond. He was also ordered to hand over all travel documents.
Police say the mother of the victim, a 10-year-old girl, discovered e-mails between the teacher and her daughter.
According to police the girl told detectives that he had kissed her and touched her.
Police say the alleged victim told her mother the teacher lured her into the car on Monday. The mother alerted authorities.
The girl also recounted how he told her she was going to receive an award Monday. He even wrote her a letter about the award on official school letterhead to her mother, police say.
Authorities say the suspect took the girl to another school, P.S. 196, and had sex with her in his car in the parking lot.
Criscuolo has been reassigned to a non-teaching position, and the department is seeking his termination.
He is due bcak in court on June 24.
new york city, new york news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos