New York News
Shooting leaves mom-to-be in serious condition
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- Marisela Vazquez may lose her baby to save her life after getting shot in the face during an attempted robbery.
The victim's husband says his wife is two months pregnant. She had her first of four surgeries on Thursday at Richmond University Medical Center.
Now he's face with the possible decision of terminating the pregnancy to help save his wife's life.
Marisela Vazquez is hooked up to tubes, her neck held by a brace, with a bullet still lodged in her face.
The 30 year old mother was walking from her car to her home Monday night after work in the Port Richmond section of Staten Island
When police say a man tried to rob her and in the scuffle he shot her in the face.
A neighbor's surveillance camera caught a quick glimpse of the suspect.
Santiago Vazquez says his wife ran into their home bleeding profusely and begging for help saying "i don't want to die."
He asked me to hide his face, fearing for the lives of his two young children.
Vazquez says he's just asking for justice. The couple is terrified of sudden miscarriage or being forced to terminate the pregnancy.
Neighbors are sick over the news, saying gunpoint robberies are sadly to say common here.
Marisela Vazquez can't talk. Doctors say it will take a long time for her to relearn how to speak, but she remembers everything about the night and has given those details to detectives.
new york city, staten island, shooting, new york news, carolina leid
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 44 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 24 min ago
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos