New York News
Boat overturns on East River; 3 people pulled out of water
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Three people were pulled from the East River near the Manhattan Bridge after their boat appeared to overturn.
FDNY Marine 6 and an NYPD Harbor Unit came to the rescue of the boaters.
The 25 foot Grady White overturned just after 8 a.m. on Saturday morning.
The boat was a safety boat that was patrolling the waters for racers in the Liberty Challenge that takes place in Manhattan every year.
"The current was pretty rapid going north, so one of the people in the water was moving pretty quickly, but we got them out," said Chief Jim Hodgens with the FDNY.
The boat was secured and tied to the Manhattan Bridge as the investigation continued.
Two victims were taken to Belelvue Hospital to be evaluated and one person was treated at the scene.
new york city, east river, boating, boat accident, new york news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 10 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 19 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 32 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 9 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 7 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 24 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 36 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos