New York News
Boat overturns on East River; 3 people pulled out of water
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Three people were pulled from the East River near the Manhattan Bridge after their boat appeared to overturn.
FDNY Marine 6 and an NYPD Harbor Unit came to the rescue of the boaters.
The 25 foot Grady White overturned just after 8 a.m. on Saturday morning.
The boat was a safety boat that was patrolling the waters for racers in the Liberty Challenge that takes place in Manhattan every year.
"The current was pretty rapid going north, so one of the people in the water was moving pretty quickly, but we got them out," said Chief Jim Hodgens with the FDNY.
The boat was secured and tied to the Manhattan Bridge as the investigation continued.
Two victims were taken to Belelvue Hospital to be evaluated and one person was treated at the scene.
new york city, east river, boating, boat accident, new york news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 14 min ago
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 28 min ago
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 34 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
14 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos