New York News
Coney Island celebrates Sandy survival with Mermaid Parade
BROOKLYN -- Storm-ravaged Coney Island is celebrating its survival with its annual wacky and weird Mermaid Parade.
Hundreds of thousands of people hit the famed Brooklyn boardwalk on Surf Avenue Saturday for the procession, billed as the world's largest art parade.
This year's version was a spectacle of outlandish floats, muscle cars, cross-dressing men and women in revealing costumes.
"There's nothing like this in the world, you see all the beautiful fishes they come out, they're really, really beautiful, they are," said spectator Don Deola.
This celebration of ancient mythology and honky-tonk rituals is now in its 31st year. It is the largest art parade in the country, which means the flare for the unusual is in over drive.
"Go big or go home. if you're going to swim with the sharks, don't' wear a Speedo," said parade-goer Jessica Rothman.
More than 1900 people, many of them who were at the parade on Saturday, went to kickstarter.com, and donated roughly $117,000 - money that paid for, among other things security.
"It's hard to believe all that water was in our backyard, we never thought Coney Island would come back but it's coming back bigger and stronger," said Carol Webb.
new york city, coney island, brooklyn, superstorm sandy, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 58 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos