New York News
Bike share users top 1 million miles
NEW YORK -- Authorities say those people using New York City's new bike-sharing program have logged more than a million miles in less than a month.
City officials said this weekend that the miles are being racked up mostly by more than 100,000 people who have signed up for daily, weekly or annual rides.
They say the acceleration of use has resulted in 161,000 rides in the last week alone. More than 30,000 rides were recorded Friday.
The bike-sharing program is called Citi Bike after a $41 million sponsorship from Citibank. An annual membership costs $95 and a day pass costs $9.95.
The program launched May 27 for annual members and June 2 for everyone else. It's made up of 6,000 bikes at 330 stations in Manhattan and parts or Brooklyn.
However, the big numbers are not necessarily free of some big problems.
"It's so large, there are going to be glitches," said cyclist Prentis Goodmna.
Goodmna is right - so far the Department of Transportation says more than 100,000 people have signed up to date, pedaling over 1 million miles.
However back to the glitches - Prentis says he has encountered bikes that have been out of commission.
"I knew [the bike] wasn't working because the light was red," he said, "It made a beeping sound and I left,"
Prentis then came to the West Side to take one of only two bikes left. Shortly after, Eyewitness News bumped into cyclist Carlos Rodriguez at the very same rack. The problem is, the final bike was also a no go.
"What's next? I don't know, I think I am going to take a taxi," said Rodriguez.
Critics of the bike share program say the racks are intrusive and in some case pose a safety hazard. That is Upper East Side resident Scott Martel's beef.
"An old lady was being pulled on a stretcher and they had to go around the ambulance to pick up the lady," says Martel.
Then there's the attorney who met with the Department of Transportation and successfully got officials to change their minds about where some of these racks should be placed.
new york city, bike share, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania 49 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard 43 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239...
50 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in...
49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
35 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos