New York News
Bike share users top 1 million miles
NEW YORK -- Authorities say those people using New York City's new bike-sharing program have logged more than a million miles in less than a month.
City officials said this weekend that the miles are being racked up mostly by more than 100,000 people who have signed up for daily, weekly or annual rides.
They say the acceleration of use has resulted in 161,000 rides in the last week alone. More than 30,000 rides were recorded Friday.
The bike-sharing program is called Citi Bike after a $41 million sponsorship from Citibank. An annual membership costs $95 and a day pass costs $9.95.
The program launched May 27 for annual members and June 2 for everyone else. It's made up of 6,000 bikes at 330 stations in Manhattan and parts or Brooklyn.
However, the big numbers are not necessarily free of some big problems.
"It's so large, there are going to be glitches," said cyclist Prentis Goodmna.
Goodmna is right - so far the Department of Transportation says more than 100,000 people have signed up to date, pedaling over 1 million miles.
However back to the glitches - Prentis says he has encountered bikes that have been out of commission.
"I knew [the bike] wasn't working because the light was red," he said, "It made a beeping sound and I left,"
Prentis then came to the West Side to take one of only two bikes left. Shortly after, Eyewitness News bumped into cyclist Carlos Rodriguez at the very same rack. The problem is, the final bike was also a no go.
"What's next? I don't know, I think I am going to take a taxi," said Rodriguez.
Critics of the bike share program say the racks are intrusive and in some case pose a safety hazard. That is Upper East Side resident Scott Martel's beef.
"An old lady was being pulled on a stretcher and they had to go around the ambulance to pick up the lady," says Martel.
Then there's the attorney who met with the Department of Transportation and successfully got officials to change their minds about where some of these racks should be placed.
new york city, bike share, new york news, kemberly richardson
- House fire in New Brunswick 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 1 min ago
- George Washington Bridge reopens for morning commute 44 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- George Washington Bridge reopens for...
44 min ago
- Baruch College student dies in apparent...
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
31 min ago