New York News
Search for answers after helicopter lands on the Hudson
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating what caused a charter helicopter to lose power shortly after takeoff and land on the Hudson River on Sunday.
NY Helicopter Owner Mike Roth took a phone call Sunday morning that he'll never forget from calm cool pilot, 23-year-old Michael Campbell, who'd just made that emergency landing on the Hudson with 4 Swedish tourists on board.
"He says I just landed in the Hudson," Roth explained. "I was in disbelief, all the way down to my toes, like a fish out of water. I said 'Are you ok?'"
Campbell had deployed the pontoons, which aren't required on sightseeing helicopters, but Roth says they're a no-brainer, even though they cost $150,000.
"I will not fly without those," he said.
The chopper was put on a flatbed truck on Monday and taken to a hangar on Long Island where it's being inspected by Federal investigators and the engine's manufacturer.
Campbell dropped out of college to go to flight school. His grandmother told me by phone from Buffalo her grandson was thinking about her when he gave her the news.
"'I didn't mean to scare you.' That's what he said," she explained. "He does not like to be in the spotlight. He is low profile. He was worried more about his passengers, you know."
His boss says Campbell is finishing up some reports but should be back up in the air later this week.
The emergency landing on the Hudson River was reminiscent of another one where all aboard escaped unharmed. In 2009, Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III safely landed a US Airways flight after striking a flock of geese. All 155 people aboard survived.
But other aviation incidents over the waterways surrounding Manhattan have been deadly. /p>
In 2011, a helicopter crashed into the East River. Two passengers were killed at the scene, and a third died a month later.
And in 2009, a collision between a tour helicopter and a small plane over the Hudson River killed nine people.
new york city, hudson river, helicopter crash, new york news, sarah wallace
- American Meb Keflezighi wins Boston Marathon 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 5 kids being questioned in Central Park robberies, assault 8 min ago
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 22 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
19 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos