New York News
Man who shot officer convicted of attempted murder
NEW YORK -- A man charged with fatally shooting a Brooklyn man and wounding a New York City police officer last year was convicted Wednesday of murder and attempted murder.
Authorities accused Luis Ortiz of shooting Shannon McKinney six times on Jan. 1, 2012, and shooting Officer Kevin Brennan in the head on Jan. 31, 2012, in an attempt to evade capture.
Brennan suffered mild brain damage from the bullet, which mostly caused a loss of some peripheral vision.
Ortiz faces life in prison without parole. Sentencing has been scheduled for July 23.
Police officials said Brennan and two other plainclothes officers were responding to a report of shots fired at a public housing development when they encountered three people running from a building.
Ortiz was among those who fled and Brennan pursued him around the back of the building at the Bushwick Houses development, where the two squeezed through an open emergency exit before it shut behind them. The two other officers who responded with Brennan were trapped outside.
Surveillance video showed Brennan in a headlock, then being shot in an alcove and lying unmoving while the suspect flees.
After the gunman fled, the two officers pried open the emergency door, saw Brennan and called for an ambulance. There was no time to send the officer to the operating room so doctors pulled the bullet from his head in the emergency room.
new york city, police officer shot, new york news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 35 min ago
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 56 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 6 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 47 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 5 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
10 min ago