New York News
Police questioning person of interest in shooting near Brooklyn playground
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Police are questioning a person of interest in the deadly shooting near a playground in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn that left a teenager dead and three others wounded.
Authorities say a crowd had gathered for a local basketball tournament on Saturday at the Marcy Houses in Bed Stuy. But before the final dunk, shots rang out.
Eighteen-year-old Mario Lopez was killed, and three boys ages 13, 14 and 15 were also shot.
Lopez, who dreamed of joining the Army after high school, lived at the Bushwick houses with his family. The front of his building is now covered with memorial candles and expressions of sympathy.
The 13-year-old remains in critical condition after being shot in the neck. The 14-year-old and 15-year-old boys are in stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, shooting, new york news, lucy yang
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 42 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 58 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 56 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos