New York News
Police questioning person of interest in shooting near Brooklyn playground
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Police are questioning a person of interest in the deadly shooting near a playground in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn that left a teenager dead and three others wounded.
Authorities say a crowd had gathered for a local basketball tournament on Saturday at the Marcy Houses in Bed Stuy. But before the final dunk, shots rang out.
Eighteen-year-old Mario Lopez was killed, and three boys ages 13, 14 and 15 were also shot.
Lopez, who dreamed of joining the Army after high school, lived at the Bushwick houses with his family. The front of his building is now covered with memorial candles and expressions of sympathy.
The 13-year-old remains in critical condition after being shot in the neck. The 14-year-old and 15-year-old boys are in stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, shooting, new york news, lucy yang
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 48 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos