New York News
Police questioning person of interest in shooting near Brooklyn playground
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Police are questioning a person of interest in the deadly shooting near a playground in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn that left a teenager dead and three others wounded.
Authorities say a crowd had gathered for a local basketball tournament on Saturday at the Marcy Houses in Bed Stuy. But before the final dunk, shots rang out.
Eighteen-year-old Mario Lopez was killed, and three boys ages 13, 14 and 15 were also shot.
Lopez, who dreamed of joining the Army after high school, lived at the Bushwick houses with his family. The front of his building is now covered with memorial candles and expressions of sympathy.
The 13-year-old remains in critical condition after being shot in the neck. The 14-year-old and 15-year-old boys are in stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, shooting, new york news, lucy yang
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures