New York News
Police questioning person of interest in shooting near Brooklyn playground
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Police are questioning a person of interest in the deadly shooting near a playground in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn that left a teenager dead and three others wounded.
Authorities say a crowd had gathered for a local basketball tournament on Saturday at the Marcy Houses in Bed Stuy. But before the final dunk, shots rang out.
Eighteen-year-old Mario Lopez was killed, and three boys ages 13, 14 and 15 were also shot.
Lopez, who dreamed of joining the Army after high school, lived at the Bushwick houses with his family. The front of his building is now covered with memorial candles and expressions of sympathy.
The 13-year-old remains in critical condition after being shot in the neck. The 14-year-old and 15-year-old boys are in stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, shooting, new york news, lucy yang
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees