New York News
Manhunt continues for suspect in vicious Bronx hallway beating
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The manhunt for a man behind a violent attack in the Bronx continues Wednesday, and police are relying on surveillance video for leads in the case.
The incident happened just after 3:30 a.m. on June 29 in Bedford Park.
Investigators say the suspect followed 62-year-old Carolyn Farmer into her Briggs Avenue apartment building.
He grabbed her from behind, viciously assaulted her and stole money before fleeing the scene.
"That's him, that's the man," she said when she saw the surveillance photo of the suspect for the first time. "It's frightening how he beat me up."
Farmer said she had just withdrawn $700 in cash for rent and bills from an ATM at a nearby Laudromat, just around the corner from her home.
"I didn't see anybody follow me, but that's the man," she said. "They got him on camera, too. Please get him. He might come back after me again."
As brutal as the attack was, Farmer amazingly walked away with just a small cut on her elbow. She was treated and released from a local hospital.
Police are hoping an extensive network of surveillance cameras in the area will help identify the suspect.
"The biggest lead, of course, is the video," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said. "We're waiting, obviously, as always, for the public's help, that's what we're waiting for.
The suspect is described as a black male, approximately 5-foot-9 and weighing 200 pounds with short black hair. He was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, dark shorts and white sneakers. Farmer hopes for a quick arrest.
"God will punish him for what he did," she said. "And if he harm anybody else, God will punish him.
Anyone with information in regards is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
new york city, bedford, bronx, assault, robbery, surveillance video, new york news
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate 50 min ago
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams