New York News
Wake Thursday for teacher killed by NYPD van in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family, friends, students and colleagues will gather Thursday at a wake for a teacher run down by a police van in Brooklyn.
The wake for 61-year-old Felix Coss will be held in Williamsburg.
Coss was hit and killed Saturday as he crossed Broadway and Hooper Street in Bushwick.
Eyewitnesses say officer Paula Medrano hit Coss while she was talking on her cell phone.
Police have issued a subpoena for Medrano's phone records.
Coss reportedly had a green light and was in the crosswalk when he was struck.
"It definitely didn't look like it was his fault," said an eyewitness, who declined to be identified. "It appeared that he was crossing the street, mostly likely had the right of way. The cop did not yield and hit him."
At this point, Medrano has not been charged.
new york city, brooklyn, accident, nypd, new york news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
5 min ago