New York News
Subway stabbing victim speaks about attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The passenger who was stabbed on a subway on the Upper East Side is speaking out about the terrifying attack.
The victim was attacked by a homeless woman who on Monday went berserk with a knife.
The victim ran into Bloomingdale's where the staff saved her and called police.
"Literally tried to kill me, I mean, she tried to kill me," said Heather Burke, subway attack victim.
Heather Burke says she still can't fully wrap her mind around the totally random and horribly vicious attack.
Monday morning just before 10, she was getting off the number 6 train at 59th and Lexington when literally out of nowhere, the woman sitting across from her, 31-year-old Ashley Jacob, pounced.
"A lady jumped on top of me and was attacking me," Burke said.
Stunned and badly hurt, she tried to crawl to safety, but Jacob wouldn't stop.
She was relentlessly pounding her with her fists and plunging a kitchen knife into Burke.
"She only got me once in the stomach but the stab wound was so bad and so deep," Burke said.
She began to lose blood fast.
Eventually, several men in the station restrained Jacob.
Security at nearby Bloomingdales cuffed her.
Finally, Heather was able to look down.
"So I kind of pulled up my dress and my stomach was gushing blood, and I looked down and all around me there was just blood, it was awful," Burke said.
She was rushed to the hospital, her 18-year-old daughter Taylor got there a short time later.
"I saw like all the way through her arm and I saw her stomach it was horrible, I thought I'd never see her again," Taylor said.
As deep as her wounds were, none of them would prove to be fatal, but she needed emergency surgery.
Just a day later, Heather and Taylor were back home together trying to make sense of something that will never make sense.
"It's hard to reconcile but I'm sure in time I will. I'm sure in time I will feel fortunate and happy that I'm still here and that I will recover and I'm OK but it will take a while," Burke said.
new york city, bloomingdale, subway crime, subway, stabbing, upper east side, new york news, phil lipof
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 57 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 55 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 54 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 55 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
55 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega...
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos