New York News
Sketch released in Queens livery stabbing
WOODSIDE (WABC) -- Police are investigating a stabbing early Saturday morning on 68-10 Roosevelt Avenue in Woodside, Queens that left one man dead and another injured.
A man driving a black Lincoln town car took a bat to 25-year-old Isaac Martinez and another man around 5:00 Saturday morning, eventually stabbing them. Police released a sketch of the suspect on Thursday.
Martinez died, and his friend is in stable condition. It is unclear whether the man who stabbed them was a livery cab driver.
"We can't assume because you are driving a Lincoln cab that you're a livery cab driver, that's not the case," said President of the Taxi Drivers Union, Fernando Mateo.
Mateo is offering a $5,000 reward to find the suspect not on behalf of the taxi drivers, but on behalf of his community group, Hispanics Across America.
"We believe that by offering a $5,000 reward, we will get information on who committed this crime, and hopefully get people behind bars," said Mateo.
It is unclear whether Martinez and his friend got in a fight with the driver. The two were apparently drunk and had just picked up some beer.
Martinez' cousin, Michael Aguirre says Martinez worked as a DJ, and usually always came home right after work.
"He was pretty cool, a really nice guy, friendly to people," said Aguirre.
The driver of the cab is described as an Asian male, about 30 years old.
new york city, woodside, queens, stabbing, new york news, kristin thorne
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
59 min ago