New York News
New York's oldest resident turns 114
NEW YORK -- New York's most senior resident, who is also the world's third oldest person, celebrated turning 114 at a Brooklyn senior center.
The New York Times reportsthat Susannah Mushatt Jones, who had a birthday party Friday, only takes one blood pressure medication and a daily vitamin.
She celebrated her birthday surrounded by friends and family, including an 81-year-old niece and a 69-year-old grandson. </p<
Jones was determined to be the world's third oldest person by the Gerontology Research Group, an organization of physicians, scientists and engineers who validate supercentenarians, people 110 or older.
Jones was born July 6, 1899, in Lowndes County, Alabama. She moved to New York in 1923. http://nyti.ms/14OS1Ia Last month the world's oldest Jewish person, Evelyn Kozak, died in Brooklyn at age 113. http://nyti.ms/14OS1Ia
new york city, brooklyn, new york news
- Missing plane may have turned back
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 45 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 8 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014