New York News
New York's oldest resident turns 114
NEW YORK -- New York's most senior resident, who is also the world's third oldest person, celebrated turning 114 at a Brooklyn senior center.
The New York Times reportsthat Susannah Mushatt Jones, who had a birthday party Friday, only takes one blood pressure medication and a daily vitamin.
She celebrated her birthday surrounded by friends and family, including an 81-year-old niece and a 69-year-old grandson. </p<
Jones was determined to be the world's third oldest person by the Gerontology Research Group, an organization of physicians, scientists and engineers who validate supercentenarians, people 110 or older.
Jones was born July 6, 1899, in Lowndes County, Alabama. She moved to New York in 1923. http://nyti.ms/14OS1Ia Last month the world's oldest Jewish person, Evelyn Kozak, died in Brooklyn at age 113. http://nyti.ms/14OS1Ia
new york city, brooklyn, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Winter Weather Advisory
55 min ago