New York News
Fire breaks out on roof of Fulton St. Transit Center
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- Firefighters battled the heat and the flames on the roof the Fulton Street Transit Center in Lower Manhattan on Monday afternoon.
The fire started at 1:30 p.m. at the transit hub, which is still under construction.
The MTA says someone was welding on the roof and a spark touched some insulation, which caught on fire.
The Fire Department said they had some difficulty getting to the fire because of the location. It was placed under control just before 3:00 p.m.
There were no injuries reported.
The $1.4 billion transit center is scheduled to open next year. It's expected to serve 300,000 customers daily as it connects 6 different lower Manhattan subway stations.
new york city, fire, lower manhattan, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced 39 min ago
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating 27 min ago
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss 44 min ago
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code 52 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos