New York News
Long Island College Hospital ordered to close by end of July; Restraining order issued
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An emergency restraining has been issued after it was announced earlier Friday that Brooklyn's Long Island College Hospital will shut down by the end of the month.
The hospital has been part of the community for more than 150 years.
In Cobble Hill, signs still hang that read "Hands off my Hospital", but it won't matter, the hospital is closing.
The hospital that has 375 beds but only 18 patients remain as the closing appears to have been going on for several weeks.
In a letter from the Department of Health it orders the hospital to "Cease admitting patients from the emergency department at noon on July 22nd." The letter goes on to order the transfer or discharge of all patients by July 28th.
Before the letter came out community leaders, doctors, nurses and patients protested saying the state is illegally trying to close the facility.
Officials in the Governor's office say the hospital loses $15 Million a month.
"We are not begging anybody to keep our hospital open. We are all standing here with our fists raised to defend our hospital, defend our community, and we're not going anywhere," said paramedic Ryan Schiavone.
The real estate is probably worth a half-billion dollars, and a lot of residents are concerned the hospital land will become condos.
new york city, brooklyn, hospital, new york news, dave evans
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 25 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 28 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 50 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 29 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 1 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 3 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
53 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos