New York News
Long Island College Hospital ordered to close by end of July; Restraining order issued
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An emergency restraining has been issued after it was announced earlier Friday that Brooklyn's Long Island College Hospital will shut down by the end of the month.
The hospital has been part of the community for more than 150 years.
In Cobble Hill, signs still hang that read "Hands off my Hospital", but it won't matter, the hospital is closing.
The hospital that has 375 beds but only 18 patients remain as the closing appears to have been going on for several weeks.
In a letter from the Department of Health it orders the hospital to "Cease admitting patients from the emergency department at noon on July 22nd." The letter goes on to order the transfer or discharge of all patients by July 28th.
Before the letter came out community leaders, doctors, nurses and patients protested saying the state is illegally trying to close the facility.
Officials in the Governor's office say the hospital loses $15 Million a month.
"We are not begging anybody to keep our hospital open. We are all standing here with our fists raised to defend our hospital, defend our community, and we're not going anywhere," said paramedic Ryan Schiavone.
The real estate is probably worth a half-billion dollars, and a lot of residents are concerned the hospital land will become condos.
new york city, brooklyn, hospital, new york news, dave evans
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Video: Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area 7 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death 40 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area
7 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
12 min ago