New York News
Long Island College Hospital ordered to close by end of July; Restraining order issued
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An emergency restraining has been issued after it was announced earlier Friday that Brooklyn's Long Island College Hospital will shut down by the end of the month.
The hospital has been part of the community for more than 150 years.
In Cobble Hill, signs still hang that read "Hands off my Hospital", but it won't matter, the hospital is closing.
The hospital that has 375 beds but only 18 patients remain as the closing appears to have been going on for several weeks.
In a letter from the Department of Health it orders the hospital to "Cease admitting patients from the emergency department at noon on July 22nd." The letter goes on to order the transfer or discharge of all patients by July 28th.
Before the letter came out community leaders, doctors, nurses and patients protested saying the state is illegally trying to close the facility.
Officials in the Governor's office say the hospital loses $15 Million a month.
"We are not begging anybody to keep our hospital open. We are all standing here with our fists raised to defend our hospital, defend our community, and we're not going anywhere," said paramedic Ryan Schiavone.
The real estate is probably worth a half-billion dollars, and a lot of residents are concerned the hospital land will become condos.
new york city, brooklyn, hospital, new york news, dave evans
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
49 min ago