New York News
Woman's body found in garbage can in the Bronx
BRONX (WABC) -- Police are investigating the discovery of a young woman's body found in a garbage can in the Bronx.
Late Sunday afternoon, detectives walked 52-year-old Moises Martinez out of the 44th Precinct. Just blocks away, his apartment was still being guarded as a crime scene.
Musician Victor Salva was coming home from work early this morning when he saw Martinez, who lives downstairs in 2C sitting in his livery cab right in front of 1256 Walton Ave in the Mount Eden section.
Law enforcement sources say the 52-year-old, who worked for Diplo Cab Service, allegedly confessed to killing his 29-year-old girlfriend, Yajaira Reyes, then stuffing her body in a garbage can. He was apparently getting ready to put the body in the cab, but was stopped by officers who responded to a report of a man acting suspiciously.
The cause of death is being determined by the medical examiner.
The victim's identity has not yet been released.
new york city, body found, bronx, new york news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83