New York News
Large fire in Hamilton Heights apartment building
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Investigators say Monday's five alarm fire in Hamilton Heights was accidental.
It appears to have been sparked by an overloaded electrical outlet, the fire marshal's office said.
The fire started at 3:45 p.m. and quickly went to a 5th alarm at 520 West 139th St.
Heavy fire was visible inside the 7-story apartment building.
Authorities said the occupants of the apartment where the fire began left their door open while escaping. Residents are reminded to close the door behind them, as open doors allow fire to quickly grow and spread, which is what invesitgators say happened in this case.
Nineteen firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation - 11 at the scene and eight at Weill Cornell Medical Center. A civilian was treated for minor injuries.
new york city, hamilton heights, fire, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash