New York News
Large fire in Hamilton Heights apartment building
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Investigators say Monday's five alarm fire in Hamilton Heights was accidental.
It appears to have been sparked by an overloaded electrical outlet, the fire marshal's office said.
The fire started at 3:45 p.m. and quickly went to a 5th alarm at 520 West 139th St.
Heavy fire was visible inside the 7-story apartment building.
Authorities said the occupants of the apartment where the fire began left their door open while escaping. Residents are reminded to close the door behind them, as open doors allow fire to quickly grow and spread, which is what invesitgators say happened in this case.
Nineteen firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation - 11 at the scene and eight at Weill Cornell Medical Center. A civilian was treated for minor injuries.
new york city, hamilton heights, fire, new york news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub 14 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to help find jet
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos