New York News
Suspects sought in backhoe bank heist
MASPETH (WABC) -- The NYPD is looking for suspected thieves who used a backhoe to ram the wall and ATM machine of a bank in Queens.
A portion of the front door and wall of the the Chase Bank branch on 48th Street in Maspeth had been knocked out overnight.
Police say the suspects fled the scene early Friday, and left the backhoe running. The machine was reported missing from a nearby construction site.
Police say it's unclear if any money was taken.
Detectives say it's part of a pattern of several smash-and-grab thefts. The suspects use tools, vehicles or construction equipment to break into ATMs.
Most thefts occur in the early morning hours. They're mostly in Brooklyn and Queens.
new york city, queens, maspeth, bank, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield 15 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 57 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58 37 min ago
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos