New York News
Suspects sought in backhoe bank heist
MASPETH (WABC) -- The NYPD is looking for suspected thieves who used a backhoe to ram the wall and ATM machine of a bank in Queens.
A portion of the front door and wall of the the Chase Bank branch on 48th Street in Maspeth had been knocked out overnight.
Police say the suspects fled the scene early Friday, and left the backhoe running. The machine was reported missing from a nearby construction site.
Police say it's unclear if any money was taken.
Detectives say it's part of a pattern of several smash-and-grab thefts. The suspects use tools, vehicles or construction equipment to break into ATMs.
Most thefts occur in the early morning hours. They're mostly in Brooklyn and Queens.
new york city, queens, maspeth, bank, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow begins falling in New Jersey 24 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes 36 min ago
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV