New York News
Search intensifies for man who tried to rape dog walker in Inwood
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Local leaders are taking action after Sunday's attempted rape of a woman walking her dog on West 212th Street in the Inwood section of Manhattan.
On Wednesday morning, police released new surveillance video of the suspect, a 6-foot man in his late 20s.
Police have also been distributing flyers in the neighborhood.
The attack happened on a one block stretch of 212th Street at 7:00 Sunday morning.
Seeing the video of the attack was enough to worry resident Maria Bonilla, who said she did not recognize the suspect.
Two different security cameras caught this vicious attack on video. In the first, the victim is seen walking her dog and the attacker comes up behind her.
In the second view, you can see he grabs her and is attempting to rip her clothes off as she tries to fight him off as her small dog is barking at the man.
"I'm scared because in this neighborhood, this never happens," one resident said.
Others residents, like Jerry Christal who also owns a neighborhood business, tell me the same thing. Many have lived on this block for years. They know each other. When something like this attack occurs, the concern runs deep.
"People know people. And you know who your neighbors are. It's very odd (for this to happen). Very odd and very scary," Christal said.
The street is only a block long. People know one another. There is a school on the block. Neighbors can't put their finger on this suspect.
"He didn't look recognizable at all. He seemed like somebody that happened to randomly come down this block," Christal said.
The suspect is described as a black male, approximately 25-30 years-old, 5'11", 180 lbs., and was last seen wearing a white t-shirt, blue denim shorts and a brown or red baseball cap.
Anyone with information in regards is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
new york city, inwood, rape, new york news, tim fleischer
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos