New York News
Workers begin strikes at fast-food restaurants
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Thousands of fast food workers walked off the job Monday morning as part of a labor strike demanding a pay raise.
The workers are seeking $15 an hour, more than double the current minimum wage in New York, which they say will bring them up to livable standards.
The workers also want more hours and the right to form a union without retaliation.
A number of fast-food chains are affected by the walkout, including Burger King, McDonald's, Domino's, Wendy's, and Papa John's Pizza.
The workers are asking customers not to patronize the fast-food restaurants until the changes are made.
The National Labor Relations Board has heard the complaints.
The strikes are being held in New York City, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Flint, Michigan.
Customers at fast food restaurants in Manhattan seemed to feel the workers deserve more money.
"They're often not getting the hours they need, and if that's the case, they're serving food and should be paid a fair wage," said Dylan Easterland.
"Anybody making under 15 dollars is not making enough money. You can't survive on minimum wage. You're paying money just to come to work," said Karen Henrique.
But one Wendy's customer said a good result for workers could be bad for customers.
"If they increase their wages, their product quality is not going to get any better. Only prices are going to increase," said James Busse.
new york city, strike threat, strike, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 20 min ago
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform 5 min ago
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide