New York News
Woman drives from Queens to Brooklyn with man clinging to roof
CYPRESS HILLS (WABC) -- A woman is in custody Sunday night after the NYPD says she drove from Queens to Brooklyn with a man clinging to the roof of her SUV. The man died, and three others were injured when she crashed into another SUV in Cypress Hills.
The accident happened shortly before 9 on Sunday morning. Pieces of wreckage still litter the intersection.
According to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, the couple was married, and there was a dispute over money. 34-year-old Matthew Soria wanted the keys to the car, and 51-year-old Maria Espinosa got in the car with the man on the hood.
Soria was desperately clinging on to the hood of the Blue Ford Explorer, and rode on the outside as the SUV tore through the city streets. Espinosa eventually crashed into a white Nissan at the intersection of Jamaica Avenue and Crescent in the Cypress Hills section of Brooklyn.
Reports say the Soria, who was hanging on to the car was thrown, and killed while Espinosa was taken into custody.
Passengers in the White Nissan suffered only minor injuries.
Espinosa was charged Sunday with Murder, Manslaughter and Assault.
new york city, queens, brooklyn, cypress hills, accident, new york news, lucy yang
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem 27 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help 10 min ago
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 24 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 1 min ago
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Authorities continue to clear debris from...
32 min ago
- Group running NYC half-marathon to inspire,...
57 min ago