New York News
Man accused of trying to sell baby on Craigslist
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Authorities on Staten Island have arrested a man on charges he tried to sell a baby on Craigslist.
Sources say 22-year-old Paul Marquez tried to sell the two-month-old baby for $100 on Craigslist because he wasn't spending much time with the infant's busy working mother. Sources say he felt the baby was in the way of a romantic relationship with her mother so he posted the two ads trying to sell the infant as revenge.
Marquez will have his next court appearance on Tuesday at Staten Island Criminal Court.
The 19-year-old single mom refused to talk on camera with Eyewitness News about the man she met online. The suspect's mother had police guard her door to avoid the media attention. However, neighbors in the Castleton Corners section had plenty to say.
A neighbor who chose to remain anonymous said,
"That was real shocking, he's a quiet kid, and he goes in and out. He wasn't one of those outburst kids."
"How could you want to sell your girlfriend's baby? That's crazy!" said Julia Spencer.
The quickly removed Craigslist posting read,
"Heyy, I have a two month old baby, she loves to play and have her little fun, but there is only one problem. The doctor said that she has asthma, and if she turns a certain way, she can stop breathing. She's really getting on my nerves and I don't want her. Please email me."
One person actually offered to buy the baby, after getting the mother's number from Marquez.
Fortunately two others saw the posting and immediately called police. Since authorities were alerted, Marquez is charged with Aggravated Harassment and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
He is facing a year behind bars, and his bail is set at $1,000. He is currently at Rikers Island.
new york city, staten island, new york news, carolina leid
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 5 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014