New York News
Born to commute: Woman gives birth at Penn Station
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Long Island woman is celebrating the birth of a newborn son, but the process didn't exactly go according to her birth plan.
In the midst of the usual Penn Station chaos, MTA officers got a call Wednesday morning about a woman in distress.
"I remember, I asked you, 'Is she full term? Is she due like immediately?' And he said, 'Yeah, looks like she's ready to have the baby any day now,'" Officer Melissa DeFrancesco said.
But that baby was ready now. Ana Agguire was waiting on track 20 of the LIRR trying to get home.
"I bought the ticket, but the pains got stronger," Aguirre said.
She made it back up the stairs.
She was over at that pole doubled over in pain. The officers said they had to carry her about 100 feet over to their district office.
That's where paramedics and four MTA officers helped deliver the baby, despite two other ongoing emergencies.
"This is not the kind of place you want to deliver a child. Luckily, we had the equipment we needed and it all worked out," Officer Joseph Cona said.
6 pounds 12 ounces baby boy Oscar was carried outside by Officer Melissa DeFrancesco where an ambulance was waiting.
"Everyone's asking, 'Is that a brand new baby?' and cheering and clapping," DeFrancesco said.
Now recovering at Bellevue Hospital, Ana and Officer DeFrancesco reunited Thursday.
Ana says she is grateful to the officers, but as a mother herself, Officer DeFrancesco says they were all happy to help.
"It was an amazing day, it was definitely one of the best days to have at work," DeFrancesco said.
new york city, penn station, baby, long island railroad, long island, centereach, new york news, dr. sapna parikh
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos