New York News
Born to commute: Woman gives birth at Penn Station
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Long Island woman is celebrating the birth of a newborn son, but the process didn't exactly go according to her birth plan.
In the midst of the usual Penn Station chaos, MTA officers got a call Wednesday morning about a woman in distress.
"I remember, I asked you, 'Is she full term? Is she due like immediately?' And he said, 'Yeah, looks like she's ready to have the baby any day now,'" Officer Melissa DeFrancesco said.
But that baby was ready now. Ana Agguire was waiting on track 20 of the LIRR trying to get home.
"I bought the ticket, but the pains got stronger," Aguirre said.
She made it back up the stairs.
She was over at that pole doubled over in pain. The officers said they had to carry her about 100 feet over to their district office.
That's where paramedics and four MTA officers helped deliver the baby, despite two other ongoing emergencies.
"This is not the kind of place you want to deliver a child. Luckily, we had the equipment we needed and it all worked out," Officer Joseph Cona said.
6 pounds 12 ounces baby boy Oscar was carried outside by Officer Melissa DeFrancesco where an ambulance was waiting.
"Everyone's asking, 'Is that a brand new baby?' and cheering and clapping," DeFrancesco said.
Now recovering at Bellevue Hospital, Ana and Officer DeFrancesco reunited Thursday.
Ana says she is grateful to the officers, but as a mother herself, Officer DeFrancesco says they were all happy to help.
"It was an amazing day, it was definitely one of the best days to have at work," DeFrancesco said.
new york city, penn station, baby, long island railroad, long island, centereach, new york news, dr. sapna parikh
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 2 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 4 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 50 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 39 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while...
58 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos