New York News
Suspect arraigned in fatal Staten Island hit and run
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- There will be no rest Sunday night for the Gendy Family. At 7:15 Monday morning, they will begin the bitter process of saying goodbye to their son, 4-year-old Kyrillos.
Agony and prayers filled St. Mina's Coptic Orthodox Church Sunday as hundreds of mourners attended Kyrillos' wake. The brown-eyed boy, who was on the cusp of starting Kindergarten, was crossing Richmond Road on Staten Island with his mother and his sister Friday night when he was killed by a hit and run driver, 33-year-old John Sanjurjo.
His father was inconsolable when he talked exclusively to Eyewitness News reporter Darla Miles.
"He could have at least waited until I buried my son," said the victim's father, Reda Gendy, "I'm going to send him a postcard of my son every single birthday."
Reda is comforted by his tight-knit Egyptian family. Kyrillos' mother had bruises on her face during Sunday's wake, but what you couldn't see was her shattered heart.
"My wife was on the hood of his car and he left," said Reda.
Sanjurjo was arraigned Sunday morning and charged with three counts of leaving the scene of an accident.
"This guy destroyed a whole family," said the victim's aunt, Mary Abdel-Malik.
"I think it's ridiculous that he's not being charged with manslaughter at the very least, said the victim's cousin, Adam Gendy.
Adam Gendy says little Kyrillos Gendy had so much energy and was so full of life.
"The mother is in a phase of denial right now. She has no words. We brought a psychiatrist on board to speak with her," Adam Gendy said.
Sanjurjo's entire family showed up to support him in court. His attorney argued the 33-year-old former Air Force servicemember turned himself in, even though there was no evidence that puts him behind the wheel.
A candlelight is set to be held at Kyrillos' school in South Amboy Monday evening.
new york city, staten island, children injuries, hit and run accident, new york news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 36 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 3 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos