New York News
Emotional vigil held Monday for New Jersey boy killed in Staten Island hit and run
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- Monday was an emotionally punishing day for the Gendy family - they buried their little boy, Kyrillos, on Monday morning, then lit candles with their school friends in South Amboy, New Jersey on Monday night.
Reda Gendy, Kyrillos' grieving father thanked the school community at Sacred Heart in South Amboy for all their support and prayers in the Gendy family's darkest days.
A candlelight vigil was held Monday evening at the Catholic School which the Gendy children attended. 7-year-old Gabby Gendy was in a cast. Kyrillos would have started Kindergarten.
The mother, her face still covered in bruises was crossing Richmond Road on Staten Island Friday with her two young children, when all three were struck by a hit and run driver.
Kyrillos was buried Monday morning amid a sea of bitter tears, while 334-year-old John Sanjurjo is accused of leaving the scene of the accident walked free on $50,000 bail, and was charged with three counts of leaving the scene of an accident.
Gendy's father, Reda Gendy, spoke to Eyewitness News, describing his pain.
"He took something from me that was very, very precious," he said. "He took life from me. He took a piece of our life. There is no way or shape or form we're going to put ourselves back together. There is absolutely no way we're going to be the same family ever again."
Later Monday, Kyrillos school in South Amboy will hold a candlelight vigil in his memory.
Meanwhile, Sanjurjo pleaded not guilty Sunday and denies he was behind the wheel, claming police got the wrong guy.
Defense attorney Anthony Caronna unsuccessfully attempted to get the case against Sanjurjo dismissed, arguing his client hadn't been identified by witnesses in the Friday night accident.
new york city, staten island, children injuries, hit and run accident, new york news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos