New York News
Nanny accused of stabbing kids found fit for trial
NEW YORK -- A New York City nanny charged with stabbing two small children to death has again been found fit for trial after asking a judge to reconsider.
A Manhattan judge reaffirmed his finding in Yoselyn (YOH'-sih-lihn) Ortega's case Tuesday.
Police say Ortega killed 6-year-old Lucia Krim and 2-year-old Leo Krim in October while their mother was out picking up her third child from a swimming lesson. Authorities say Ortega also cut her throat in a suicide attempt.
She has pleaded not guilty to murder.
Defense lawyer Valerie Van Leer-Greenberg says Ortega's delusions and injuries mean she cannot understand the case.
Doctors offered diverging views of Ortega's mental state.
State Supreme Court Justice Gregory Carro also heard recorded phone calls Ortega made from jail to relatives. She sounded coherent while discussing everyday matters.
new york city, upper west side, stabbing, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 54 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 52 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 27 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos