New York News
Arrest made in death of woman in Staten Island
PORT RICHMOND (WABC) -- Police have made an arrest in the murder of Megan Marotte, whose body was found in a Staten Island park after she had been missing for nearly two weeks.
On Sunday, police announced the arrest of 27-year old Pedro Martin of Staten Island on murder charges. Even though Megan Marotte's missing person's flyer hung right outside of Martin's apartment, the 27-year-old allegedly knew exactly what happened to the pregnant 20-year-old.
On Sunday, detectives were inside Martin's home, where late Saturday night he was arrested, police say for killing Marotte.
According to police sources, Marotte agreed to have sex with Martin for pay. They couldn't get into a local hotel, so they went to Willowbrook Park. Sources say when Marotte asked for more money, Martin allegedly choked her to death.
Avi Shay owns the shop below Martin's apartment. He tells Eyewitness News that Martin has a roommate.
"Sometimes you could hear fighting or arguing like any other couple, but nothing crazy to say this guy could do something like that," says Shay.<p It took more than a week to find Marotte's body in a wooded section by a pond in Willowbrook Park. A person walking their dog smelled a foul odor, and called police. There were no obvious signs of trauma.
Relatives say Marotte had struggled with drugs and was living with her brother ever since her father's death in 2011, and that they were concerned about her safety.
Marotte was last seen August 4th, just up the street from Martin's apartment.
Marotte used to play with Virginia DiBella's granddaughter when the kids were little. She says that is not the person she remembers.
"Around Halloween, we used to fill up bags with leaves, and she was here playing," DiBella said, "always mannerly, always wonderful, always gave you the time of day and respect."
Marotte's cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner's office.
The park remains shut down while a forensic team conducts the investigation.
new york city, staten island, body found, missing person, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 39 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 13 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 1 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
1 min ago