New York News
State senator slapped in face at hospital rally
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Anger and frustration boiled over at a rally for a New York hospital, where a state senator ended up getting slapped.
It happened in front of St. Vincent's Hospital in Greenwich Village Monday morning, as an elderly man slapped Sen. Brad Hoylman.
The angry 84-year old, George Capsis, decided to get his point across at a pro-Christine Quinn rally with violence, hitting the lawmaker in the face before slapping a campaign intern.
In an interview with Eyewitness News, Capsis, the publisher of a weekly West Village newsletter, showed no remorse for what he did.
Capsis says he was angry that local politicians didn't do more to prevent St. Vincent's from closing.
Capsis's wife, who died just days ago, was treated at a Bronx hospital, which he says was far for him to travel to.
"The hospital we had to take her to in a 15 minute notice was Calvary Hospital, which is at the very outreaches in the Bronx, almost at the Westchester border. It took me an hour and a half," said Capsis.
Hoylman, who joined the State Senate this year, isn't angry about what happened, just disappointed.
"I don't think it's representative of voters in New York City, but we have to make certain that we don't tolerate this kind of behavior in the democratic process," he said.
No charges have been filed against Capsis.
This isn't the first time he slapped someone.
Last year he hit a uniformed police officer during a traffic argument.
We asked Capsis about that, but he wouldn't talk about it.
new york city, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 24 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
5 min ago