New York News
East New York police chase ends in wild crash
EAST NEW YORK (WABC) -- Several people were injured in a car accident in Brooklyn that involved an unmarked police car early Wednesday.
The NYPD cruiser, apparently involved in a chase in the East New York section, crashed on Atlantic Avenue at Van Siclen Avenue, just after 2:30 a.m.
Police believe the pursuit began after cops spotted the black Nissan Altima, which was involved in another accident in Queens. The driver reportedly ran a red light and then refused to pull over for the officers, who ran the plates and learned they were chasing an apparent hit-and-run driver.
The chase came to an end when the driver crashed into a BMW stopped at a right light, injuring five people inside.
Police say the cruiser then slammed into the Nissan.
Witnesses said the impact caused the Nissan to spin out and flip several times, sending the BMW careening across the median and into the opposite lanes.
"Cop car right here had hit the black car, spinned it, it flipped like three times," one eyewitness said. "As it was flipping, it wound up hitting this car, made this car come on this side of the road, and it was a lot of people that was injured.
The driver of the Nissan was taken to Jamaica Hospital for treatment of his injuries.
He was later identified as 31-year-old Chance Deespina of Staten Island. He is charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, 10 counts of failure to obey traffic device, driving in the wrong direction on a one way street, driving while ability impaired and refusal to take breathalyzer.
The five people in the BMW, two men and three women, were hospitalized for various injuries.
The two police officers sustained neck and back injuries and were taken to Jamaica Hospital for treatment.
Much of Atlantic Avenue was closed for hours for the police investigation.
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, police chase, accident, new york news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 58 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 39 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid 24 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos