New York News
Harlem River jet skier saved in dramatic rescue
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Authorities came to the rescue to save a jet skier who had been submerged in the Harlem River Wednesday night.
At about 6:30 p.m., police responded to a 911 call of an immobilized jet ski at the Columbia boat dock at West 218th Street and Indian Road.
Two jet skiers had gotten stuck during low tide in the Harlem River, but were able to swim to safety to a nearby dock and called police.
When officers arrived, they told the two to sit tight and wait for help. But one of them, a 24-year old man, decided to jump into the water to get back to his jet ski.
The man was pulled under the dock and couldn't get out. Officer Richard Natal was able to hold his hand to prevent him from going under even further.
Firefighters cut a hole into the dock and pulled him out of the water. It's believed he was under water for 3 minutes.
He was unconscious and didn't have a pulse. CPR was started and the man started breathing again. He was taken to Columbia Presbyterian where he is on a ventilator to help with his breathing but is said to be in stable condition.
It was a joint rescue by members of the NYPD and FDNY, including responders from Engine 81 and Ladder 46.
new york city, rescue, new york news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 18 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 21 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 43 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 22 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 46 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
46 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos