New York News
Suspect in murder of pregnant Staten Island woman due in court
PORT RICHMOND (WABC) -- The man accused of murdering a pregnant woman on Staten Island is due back in court Friday.
Pedro Martin pleaded not guilty earlier this week to the murder of 20-year-old Megan Marotte.
But police say that in a videotaped confession, he admitted to strangling Marotte when she asked for more money to have sex with him.
The victim's body was found in Willowbrook Park last Thursday, nearly two weeks after she was reported missing.
A person walking their dog smelled a foul odor and called police. There were no obvious signs of trauma.
Relatives say Marotte had struggled with drugs and was living with her brother ever since her father's death in 2011, and that they were concerned about her safety.
Marotte was last seen August 4, just up the street from Martin's apartment.
Marotte used to play with Virginia DiBella's granddaughter when the kids were little. She says that is not the person she remembers.
"Around Halloween, we used to fill up bags with leaves, and she was here playing," DiBella said, "Always mannerly, always wonderful, always gave you the time of day and respect."
new york city, staten island, body found, missing person, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy 18 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 31 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 28 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 6 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos