New York News
Queens rape victim speaks out; Manhunt continues
REGO PARK (WABC) -- The victim of a rape in Queens is speaking out after the horrific incident, saying she was shocked that no one came to her aid when a strange man began harassing her.
The suspect was caught on camera after he allegedly followed the 52-year-old woman from the 63rd Drive R train stop in Rego Park around 10 p.m. Friday night.
She says the man followed her into a drug store and then attacked her once she left. And now, police want to make sure they get to the suspect before he strikes again.
She says the man was very forward, hitting on her and coming on very strong. She says it was obvious to anyone that she was not interested, but he continued to ask for her name and number, touching her, groping her and kissing at her before waiting for her outside the drug store.
"He was saying, 'I'd like to see you. There's a connection between us. You seem special,'" she said. "He was saying to me, 'Oh, I love your shoes. Are you model? You look like a model.' Then he was trying to pick me up, while I'm still trying to walk up the stairs."
She says she went into a Rite Aid to hide out, but the suspect refused to relent.
"Before I went into the store, he was taking my hand, he was kissing my hand," she said. "Then I went into the store, and he was trying to grab me in his arms."
After she left, the man allegedly threw her down some stairs and drug her into a secluded corner, and that's when she says she blacked out. Police say he grabbed her by her face and neck, raped and robbed her.
"When I woke up, my jeans were down and there was blood between my legs," she said. "I was frightened and confused. I just forgot what day it was."
And for all the man's bold advances, she says not a soul came to her aid.
"I told somebody in the store, one of the workers, that there's this guy who is bothering me, and she said, 'Well, you know, you should call the police,'" she said. "I didn't think he was still going to be around the store. Whoever saw this, they were like, ignoring and walking away."
The victim says that after she was raped, she screamed and someone came to the secluded corner, assisted her and called 911.
The suspect is described as a black male in his 20s, around 5-foot-7 with a mustache. He reportedly told the victim his name was Junior.
Anyone with information in regards to this rape is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
new york city, queens, rego park, rape, new york news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 24 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 24 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays
- Snow coming down in New York City 2 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 9 min ago
- Snow falling on Long Island
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Driver killed in Queens after crashing into storefront 38 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Snow coming down in New York City
2 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos