New York News
Bronx man charged with stabbing attack on woman
BRONX (WABC) -- A Bronx man is under arrest, charged with a vicious stabbing attack on a woman Saturday night.
Guillermo Melendez was charged Sunday with attempted murder after badly wounding the 35-year-old victim, who suffered cuts to her neck, hand, chest and legs.
Police officers were flagged down Saturday evening by another woman who reported the assault in an apartment in the borough's Melrose neighborhood.
Authorities say when officers arrived at the scene, they ordered Melendez to stop. And when he didn't, police fired one shot, striking him in the chest.
Both the victim and the 37-year-old suspect are reported in critical but stable condition at Lincoln Hospital.
Police confiscated an 11-inch knife.
It was the third police-involved shooting that occured on Saturday.
On Saturday morning in Harlem, police say three plain-clothes officers with the Manhattan Anti-Crime Unit were on patrol at about 3 a.m. when they heard several gunshots at West 111th Street and Lenox Avenue.
The officers saw a 27-year old man with a gun in his hand.
According to police, one officer exited the unmarked police vehicle and approached the suspect; when he pointed the firearm in the officer's direction, two officers fired their weapons at the suspect.
The third police-involved shooting took place in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn when a man allegedly tried to steal a revolver that was used in another crime.
An officer was safeguarding a gun inside a van on Bergen Street that had been used in a shooting earlier Saturday night.
According to police, the officer saw three males entering the van, ordered them to stop, and then fired his weapon, hitting a 17-year old in the left buttock.
He was taken to Kings County Hospital in stable condition.
A second 17-year old, Geremy Botor, was arrested at the scene, while a third fled.
The officer was not injured.
new york city, bronx, police shooting, stabbing, new york news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall