New York News
Correction officer from Queens arrested after shooting son
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teenager in Queens is in the hospital Monday, suffering from a gunshot wound. And the person accused of firing the shot is his own father, a correction officer at Rikers Island.
Police say 17-year-old Quasaun Smalls was shot in the torso and was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
There are conflicting stories of what led to the shooting. The boy's father, 39-year-old Robert Smalls, told investigators that he thought someone was breaking into the family's apartment, and that is why he used a semi-automatic handgun to fire off shots.
But Quasaun told police a different story - that the two had been arguing, and that is why his dad shot him.
The incident happened on 57th Street in Woodside around 4:30 a.m. Sunday.
Robert Smalls has been charged with felony assault and criminal possesion of a weapon.
new york city, queens, woodside, shooting, new york news
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom 12 min ago
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college 12 min ago
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
38 min ago