New York News
Correction officer from Queens arrested after shooting son
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teenager in Queens is in the hospital Monday, suffering from a gunshot wound. And the person accused of firing the shot is his own father, a correction officer at Rikers Island.
Police say 17-year-old Quasaun Smalls was shot in the torso and was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
There are conflicting stories of what led to the shooting. The boy's father, 39-year-old Robert Smalls, told investigators that he thought someone was breaking into the family's apartment, and that is why he used a semi-automatic handgun to fire off shots.
But Quasaun told police a different story - that the two had been arguing, and that is why his dad shot him.
The incident happened on 57th Street in Woodside around 4:30 a.m. Sunday.
Robert Smalls has been charged with felony assault and criminal possesion of a weapon.
new york city, queens, woodside, shooting, new york news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide