New York News
Correction officer from Queens arrested after shooting son
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teenager in Queens is in the hospital Monday, suffering from a gunshot wound. And the person accused of firing the shot is his own father, a correction officer at Rikers Island.
Police say 17-year-old Quasaun Smalls was shot in the torso and was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
There are conflicting stories of what led to the shooting. The boy's father, 39-year-old Robert Smalls, told investigators that he thought someone was breaking into the family's apartment, and that is why he used a semi-automatic handgun to fire off shots.
But Quasaun told police a different story - that the two had been arguing, and that is why his dad shot him.
The incident happened on 57th Street in Woodside around 4:30 a.m. Sunday.
Robert Smalls has been charged with felony assault and criminal possesion of a weapon.
new york city, queens, woodside, shooting, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 9 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 44 min ago
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 21 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 13 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos