New York News
Arrest made in sex assault on teen in Queens elevator
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have made an arrest in the brutal sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl inside her building's elevator in Queens.
Police say 29-year-old Jemmal Bryan, of Laurelton, is the man caught on surveillance video following the girl into the elevator at the South Jamaica Housing Development around 7:30 a.m. on August 18.
While inside the elevator, Bryan allegedly sexual assaulted the victim, then fled when they reached her floor and she started to scream.
Eyewitness News spoke with one resident who actually recognized the suspect and said he doesn't live at the South Jamaica houses.
The resident then called him on the phone, advising him to get a lawyer immediately.
That tenant let Eyewitness News reporter Lucy Yang listen in on part of the conversation.
The man in the video claimed it wasn't an attack, that it was consensual and that he didn't realize how young the girl was.
Now, he is charged with second-degree rape.
new york city, queens, sexual assault, new york news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 2 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner 11 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds