New York News
Man falls through stairs, Harlem building evacuated
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An apartment building in Manhattan was evacuated Thursday night after a resident was hurt when a staircase collapsed.
It happened in a building on East 104th Street in Harlem Thursday afternoon.
Relocated residents were allowed to come and collect belongings Friday.
No one was surprised that a section of stairwell collapsed under 34-year-old building resident, Charlie Vargas.
A cell phone photo shows the hole in the stairwell, with a workman's ladder placed across the cave in after the accident happened.
The people relocated have no answers about when they might return to their homes.
Nearly a dozen are children, which reminds residents that the stairwell accident could have been worse.
new york city, harlem, evacuation, new york news, art mcfarland
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing