New York News
Man falls through stairs, Harlem building evacuated
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An apartment building in Manhattan was evacuated Thursday night after a resident was hurt when a staircase collapsed.
It happened in a building on East 104th Street in Harlem Thursday afternoon.
Relocated residents were allowed to come and collect belongings Friday.
No one was surprised that a section of stairwell collapsed under 34-year-old building resident, Charlie Vargas.
A cell phone photo shows the hole in the stairwell, with a workman's ladder placed across the cave in after the accident happened.
The people relocated have no answers about when they might return to their homes.
Nearly a dozen are children, which reminds residents that the stairwell accident could have been worse.
new york city, harlem, evacuation, new york news, art mcfarland
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 51 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 35 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 13 min ago
- Justin Bieber due in Toronto court on assault charge 3 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos