New York News
Parts of Rockaway Beach closed due to sand replenishment
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There are some closures on Rockaway Beach this Labor Day Weekend due to the Army Corps of Engineers needing to do some sand replenishment work.
Swimming will be available from Beach 94th to 109th Streets for the first time this summer, where lifeguards are on duty.
Sand is being added from Beach 110th to Beach 130th Street, with these sections of beach closed.
There will be an access point at Beach 115th Street, leading beachgoers to a swimming beach at 109th Street, and restrooms and food concessions at the 106th Street Boardwalk Island.
Open for swimming, where lifeguards are on duty:
Open for surfing: Beach 60-70
Open for fishing: Beach 19-20
Closed: Beach 88-93 and 110-130
Additional sections, especially in the Beach 130s, may be closed, depending on the weather and pace of sand replenishment. For the latest information on beach access, please call 311.
Residents say this is a busy and lucrative weekend and the worst time to close part of the beach for repairs.
"They couldn't wait one last week, give us our last weekend at the beach," said Rosemary Cino, a resident.
"It's absurd, the biggest weekend over the summer other than 4th of July and Memorial Day for our merchants and neighbors, they don't have the courtesy to give us a warning," said John Vetter, a resident.
The Army Corp of Engineers explains the work is part of repairing the damage done by Superstorm Sandy.
They're replacing 3.5 million cubic yards of sand.
Some residents agree it needs to be done, but most say, why not wait a few days?
"We don't want to sound unappreciative of the work that is being done right now, but we have no boardwalk. We've been through a lot with Sandy. It's just unfair to do to the residents for our last weekend of summer," said Johann Marnick, a resident.
new york city, rockaways, beach access, beach closed, labor day, new york news, carolina leid
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 51 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County 17 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen