New York News
Suspect charged in shooting of man and child in Bronx park
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A suspect has been charged in connection with Friday night's shooting in a Bronx park that left a man and a 3-year old child wounded.
Police say 27-year old Alexis Tatis surrendered Friday night.
He is charged with second-degree attempted murder and assault.
The shooting happened on East 180th Street & Daly Ave. in Vidalia Park in the West Farms section.
"Everybody just freaked out and started running," an eyewitness said.
That's how a peaceful night in a Bronx park erupted into a scene of chaos and panic.
Sabrina Mendez was in Vidalia Park with her niece and dozens of other people.
"And the next thing you know we heard three gunshots and we thought it was firecrackers. But then everybody started running and we even seen gun smoke," said Sabrina Mendez, an eyewitness.
Mendez watched as emergency workers loaded a little boy into an ambulance.
Police say the 3-year-old was shot in the arm.
A 34-year-old man was hit in the leg.
Both are in stable condition at St. Barnabas Hospital.
"The park was so packed with a lot of people. The people were screaming and running and ducking down. My niece was lost somewhere. We grabbed her. We found her. She was down on the floor. This was crazy," said Jennie Mendez, an eyewitness.
Investigators recovered numerous bullet casings at the scene. There is still no word on the motive for the shooting.
"My niece was in there in the crowd, playing in the crowd herself. It could have been her," an eyewitness said.
new york city, bronx, child shot, shooting, new york news, joe torres
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 33 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos