New York News
Suspect charged in shooting of man and child in Bronx park
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A suspect has been charged in connection with Friday night's shooting in a Bronx park that left a man and a 3-year old child wounded.
Police say 27-year old Alexis Tatis surrendered Friday night.
He is charged with second-degree attempted murder and assault.
The shooting happened on East 180th Street & Daly Ave. in Vidalia Park in the West Farms section.
"Everybody just freaked out and started running," an eyewitness said.
That's how a peaceful night in a Bronx park erupted into a scene of chaos and panic.
Sabrina Mendez was in Vidalia Park with her niece and dozens of other people.
"And the next thing you know we heard three gunshots and we thought it was firecrackers. But then everybody started running and we even seen gun smoke," said Sabrina Mendez, an eyewitness.
Mendez watched as emergency workers loaded a little boy into an ambulance.
Police say the 3-year-old was shot in the arm.
A 34-year-old man was hit in the leg.
Both are in stable condition at St. Barnabas Hospital.
"The park was so packed with a lot of people. The people were screaming and running and ducking down. My niece was lost somewhere. We grabbed her. We found her. She was down on the floor. This was crazy," said Jennie Mendez, an eyewitness.
Investigators recovered numerous bullet casings at the scene. There is still no word on the motive for the shooting.
"My niece was in there in the crowd, playing in the crowd herself. It could have been her," an eyewitness said.
new york city, bronx, child shot, shooting, new york news, joe torres
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act