New York News
Vigil held for solider from Staten Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Hundreds turned out Wednesday night to mourn a young soldier from Staten Island who was killed in Afghanistan.
A candlelight vigil was held at the Great Kills Veterans Memorial to honor Army Staff Sergeant Michael Ollis.
The 24-year-old, who grew up in New Dorp, was killed last Wednesday when insurgents attacked his unit.
His family says he loved serving as a soldier.
Governor Cuomo ordered flags around New York State be flown at half-staff Wednesday in Ollis's honor.
nyc news, staten island news, soldier killed, new york news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- South Plainfield High School lockdown lifted
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos