New York News
Police investigate rape of girl, 8, inside Harlem library
HARLEM (WABC) -- Detectives are investigating a reported rape of an 8-year-old girl inside a public library in Harlem.
The attack occurred inside the Countee Cullen Library on West 136th Street Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities said the eight year old girl reported that she had been attacked by a 13 year old boy in the bathroom.
The girl went to the bathroom with the boy willingly, but when she got inside she was attacked.
She did not report the attack until she got home and told her family, police said.
Detectives from the NYPD's Special Victims Unit picked up the boy and are interviewing him. He is expected to be charged as a juvenile.
The library branch was closed on Thursday, but it is expected to reopen on Friday.
new york city, new york news
- Missing plane may have turned back 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 15 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 21 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
39 min ago