New York News
Man killed in remote-control helicopter accident in Brooklyn
GRAVESEND (WABC) -- The father of a teenage remote control helicopter enthusiast says his son was a great pilot.
Nineteen-year-old Roman Pirozek, Jr., of Queens, was flying the helicopter in a park near Bay 44th Street and Shore Parkway in Gravesend Brooklyn when it struck him in the head and killed him.
Roman Pirozek Sr. tells the Daily News his son was also a great friend.
The elder Pirozek acknowledged operating the helicopters was a bit dangerous, adding it was also an expensive hobby.
A tearful Pirozek told the paper his family still didn't know what caused the fatal accident
The young man's family returned home Thursday night and were met by neighbors with tears in their eyes.
"We are in shock because we are neighbors, we look after each other, we love each other, we care for each other," said Margarita Aviles, a neighbor.
Pirozek, Jr. was an avid flier of remote control helicopters.
He flew gas-powered, turbine choppers with two foot-long carbon fiber blades.
Roman made a series of videos in the field in Gravesend, Brooklyn and posted them on YouTube.
Police say it was there while flying spectacular stunts that Roman lost control of his helicopter and was struck in the head and killed.
He was a member of a small group of remote control chopper pilots who told reporters that it can be a risky hobby.
"We're all concerned about our own personal safety, but things happen, things happen," said Eaton Boyce, the victim's friend.
"It's just an unreal event that someone that young, that full of life, enjoying something, is gone," said Dino Spadaccini, the victim's friend.
Weah Roberts assembles and repairs remote control helicopters and says Roman was clearly a talented pilot.
The cause, he says, was most likely a mechanical malfunction.
"You've got something with whirling blades, it's like knives, and you get hit with that it's no joke," said Weah Robert, an RC Helicopter expert.
YouTube video of Pirozek flying his helicopter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRPfLKVMGM8
nyc news, new york news
- Missing plane may have turned back 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 54 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
33 min ago