New York News
'Speed Racer' arrested in fastest Manhattan loop
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A driver with a real lead foot and both a nickname and video to back it up is under arrest and facing charges Friday.
A woman who lives with the 30-year-old driver busted by cops ran out of the couple's apartment building with a towel over her head.
She dodged Eyewitness News' camera and the other media, not wanting to talk.
"I'll comment later," said Adam Tang, the renegade driver.
30-year-old Adam Tang smirked at reporters as he left a police precinct, not talking about his record-breaking drive around the island of Manhattan.
According to a criminal complaint Tang told investigators, "I was out for drive and I wanted to see how quickly I could drive around Manhattan. I took the entire ride of 26 miles in 24 minutes. I was exceeding the speed limit, although I did not hit 100 miles per hour. I did go through one red light, although it was not at an intersection. It was only at a pedestrian cross walk."
Investigators say Tang posted a video of his late night cruise on YouTube under the user name AfroDuck.
Tang mounted a camera on his dashboard and recorded the entire journey in his 2006 BMW Z4 convertible, which can go from 0 to 60 in five seconds.
This is the route Tang took.
He started on 116th Street and the FDR drive and headed south, looping along Lower Manhattan, shooting up the West Side Highway, and ultimately making it back to his original destination.
Investigators say they used data from license plate readers along Tang's route to help catch him.
"This was excellent work on the part of our collision investigation squad, on the part of our highway division, who were able to look at the film and look at other evidence," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
Tang is facing a slew of charges from reckless endangerment to speeding.
He did not enter a plea in court Friday.
The judge set bail was set at $10,000 bond.
The District Attorney's office says Tang has pulled stunts like this before, saying he went 4,000 miles once in 38 hours, averaging 100 mph.
You can watch the video of the Manhattan loop on YouTube below.
nyc news, manhattan news, new york news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters 51 min ago
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city 53 min ago
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
53 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
44 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new...
51 min ago