New York News
Staten Island rescued dogs put up for adoption
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- 68 small dogs who were all rescued from a house fire in Staten Island last month are now being put up for adoption.
Animal Care & Control of New York City's field officers rescued the dogs from a two-story house Aug. 24th.
Officials say the owner of the single-family home was a hoarder who collected small-breed dogs as well as trash. Some of the animals were kept in a yard next to the house.
Richard Gentles of Animal Care & Control of NYC says the dogs were removed to a shelter, where a medical team evaluated and cared for them.
"We have a medical team that works overnight here at the Manhattan care center. So we wanted to get the dogs evaluated as soon as they came in so that's why we brought them here to this care center," said Gentles.
All the dogs received vaccinations and their medical needs were assessed. They showed no signs of abuse or neglect.
Although many were in good condition, some needed additional medical and foster care.
The 68 dogs are a variety of small breeds including, Shih Tzu's, Poodles, Maltese, Pomeranians, Pekingese, ranging in age from puppies to seniors.
"They probably haven't been outside a lot. They haven't been walked on the leash, so they are going to need a little training, some socialization just to get them used to being in a different environment, someone who is just going to love and care for them," said Gentles.
If you are interested in adopting one of the dogs please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
nyc news, new york news, joe torres
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 17 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
17 min ago