New York News
Wake Thursday for solider from Staten Island
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A wake is scheduled for Thursday and Friday for a soldier from Staten Island who was killed in Afghanistan.
Residents held a candlelight vigil last week, just days after the death of Army Staff Sergeant Michael Ollis.
The 24-year-old was killed during an insurgent attack on August 28.
His body was returned to his New Dorp neighborhood Wednesday.
His family says he loved serving as a soldier.
Governor Cuomo ordered flags around New York State be flown at half-staff Wednesday in Ollis' honor.
nyc news, staten island news, soldier killed, new york news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 7 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 2 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 44 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
2 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos